Date:      Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:42:21 -0400
From:      "Carl Foote" <cfoote@bmyster.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE tape drive stt3401a

I just converted a windows server over to Freebsd 5.4 stable.  The stt3401a
tape drive that was in server was working fine.  The tape drive posts in the
BIOS but when freebsd boots up, it will not detect the drive.  Documentation
for the drive does state it cannot be on the same controller as a hard drive,
which I verified.  So, on its own controller (secondary) as master, the OS
still will not detect the drive when system boots.  I have tried all
possibilities of appropiate jumper settings to no avail.  The best I can get
out of the drive is when the OS loads I get a "ata1-slave: FAILURE -
ATAPI_IDENTIFY timed out".  I get the message three times the os loads and no
drive.

I know freebsd is doing /dev differently than in the past.  It loads /dev
dynamically on boot, so it is not loaded with all the device files, just the
ones it detects.  Is there a way to force the dev file to load.

ANY suggestions would be appreciated.

Carl Foote, CCNA
Bmyster, LLC
Computer Networking and Webhosting
Vice President, Network Engineer, Webmaster
http://www.bmyster.com/
cfoote@bmyster.com
207.490.5992