Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:12:46 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   kdebase2 seg. fault

Hello,

After having taken the advice of many, I cvsup'ed my
ports tree before trying anything else. So yes, my sources
are up to date (which, incidentaly, broke building bonobo
and therefore also building gnome).

I'm having difficulties building kdebase2. Or rather, it
builds, but make install dumps core on kappfinder_install.

kdebase2 builds wiht -O2, which according to /etc/make.conf
triggers a known optimization bug on the Alpha. I therefore
changed CFLAGS to use -O instead of -O2 in said file.

kdebase2 still has -O2 build into it's configuration- or makefiles,
but according to the gcc documentation, if multiple -O?'s are
specified, the last is used. And the last is now -O. kdebase2
still complains about -O2 during compilation, but I suspect that
is because it simply sees -O2 as part of the command and ignores
wether or not it is the last -O? option specified.

After kappfiner_install seg. faulted, I went into that directory
and editet the makefiles manually. I then rebuild everything
in that directory and it's subdirs, avoding the annoying -O2
warning. But it still seg. faulted.

I also tried to run kappfinder (same directory), and that too
seg. faulted. I supose that indicates that something is seriously
wrong with the whole build.

Has anyone else seen this? Or better yet; solved this?

- IT