Date:      Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:27:11 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Harry Starr <starr3@gccs.com.au>, current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RELENG_4 builds on -current

In message <20011022142401.A3569@xor.obsecurity.org> Kris Kennaway writes:
: On Mon, Oct 22, 2001 at 11:58:23AM +1000, Harry Starr wrote:
: > It seems to be nigh impossible to build a "previous" release on -current.
: >=20
: > Problems include "incomplete" cross tool building, header files, and of
: > course, device support, in particular differences
: > between the "old" vn stuff, and the new "md" device.
:
: I build worlds in a jail populated with the target release so there's
: no problems with this.

At timing solutions, we build all our products in a chroot jail.  We
do this because each one of them has slightly different subsetting of,
say, X for the embedded environment, different ports (sometimes
different versions due to product history), etc.  It works well, but
the code is too gross to see the light of day...

We don't build RELEASES in the chroot.  We build a system (make world
DESTDIR=xxx outside of the chroot) that we then use to build the
system (inside the chroot).

Warner