Date:      Fri, 20 Feb 1998 12:23:03 -0400
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?=22Luis_E=2E_Mu=F1oz=22?= <lem@cantv.net>
To:        "Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com" <michaelv@MindBender.serv.net>
Cc:        bag@sinbin.demos.su (Alex G. Bulushev), agdolla@datanet.hu (Gabor Dolla), freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fault tolerant :)) setup

At 12:50 AM 20/02/1998 -0800, Michael L. VanLoon -- HeadCandy.com wrote:
[snip]
>There have to be hardware products out there, somewhere, that work
>this way, because this is they way NT clustering server works.  You
>must have two SCSI controllers connected to one or more (SCSI) drives.
>I believe both servers are allowed to work and do dual service while
>they are well.  The good server takes over when the bad one fails.

At least in the Digital (DEC, Compaq, whatever it is today :) cluster
servers, the servers can talk to each other via the Net and via the
SCSI bus. One of the hardest problems is finding out if the other server
is really dead.

If they only talk via the network, simply unplugging one of the NICs
will cause problems as both will try to go live simultaneously.

Digital also has another solution (hairier) called a 'True Cluster'.
Machines in a True Cluster configuration share memory via a special
bus, so you have actually three ways to talk to the other servers.
Also, work can be resumed *exactly* where it was left and in a
100% transparent transition, at least this is what I've read.

>Don't know if they had to do any magic to NTFS to make this work, or
>if the magic happens inside the clustering services on both machines.

I *think* the FS has to help.

-lem