Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 19:29:19 -0800 (PST)
From:      <jkoshy@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@FreeBSD.ORG>, doc@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wishlist item: <sys/queue.h> in schematic form

phk> It would be really nice if we had some schematics in the handbook
phk> which showed how these things look, what points where etc etc,
phk> just some boxes and some arrows.

Yes, diagrams would be nice.  You can draw reasonably complex
diagrams using pic(1) which is a standard part of FreeBSD these
days.  LaTeX also now supports some powerful graphics handling
macro packages.

nik> Can you scan these doodles in, and send me a GIF file?

IMHO, a more device independent format (Encapsulated Postscript?
LaTeX? FIG?) would be a better idea.  GIFs are mostly ok on the
screen, but they don't generally render well on the printed page.

We can convert from these device independent formats to GIF (PNG)
or PDF depending on whether we are creating browsable or printable
documentation.

Regards,
Koshy
<jkoshy@freebsd.org>