Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:17:30 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <TrimYourCc@NUXI.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make.conf lack of CPUTYPE=k6-3 support

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 05:32:36AM +1100, Bruce Evans wrote:
> k6-2 is already over-engineered.  The only difference between it and k6
> is 3dnow, but neither gcc nor any source files support 3dnow (now :-).

Binutils 2.11.0 and GCC 3.0 will. :-)

> OTOH, bsd.cpu.mk is too under-engineered to support any compiler except
> gcc.  It unconditionally translates FreeBSD-specific names like k6-2 to
> gcc-specific flags like -march=k6.

We can either take the approach of letting people specify their CPU by
the name they know it by, and letting the computer translate to what it
needs.  Or we can make them have to learn how we named them.  While
"k6/3dnow" is the capability we want to know, it certainly isn't as
intuitive as the "k6-2" I am using right now.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX