Date:      7 Jan 2000 00:54:49 +0100
From:      naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de (Christian Weisgerber)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upgrading sysinstall via cvsup

Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org> wrote:

> Question 1:  is this really necessary?

No. You can simply delete sysinstall (/stand for that matter). It
is of little value after initial installation. Personally, I only
keep it around because I'm a wimp and I actually prefer its disklabel
editor over "disklabel -e". There are of course people who use
sysinstall to install additional packages and do what not. If you
are one of those, you certainly want to keep sysinstall, and you
may want to update it.

It's a matter of personal preference. I suspect you wouldn't want
me to dictate yours.

> Question 2:  is there any reason why my build of sysinstall failed
> recently?

Assuming that every effect is preceded by a cause, yes.

Updating sysinstall takes all of

# cd /usr/src/release/sysinstall
# make install
# make clean

This has worked for me every time so far.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de