Date:      Thu, 19 Mar 1998 10:22:43 +1100
From:      John Saunders <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Kernel panic with 2.2.6-BETA as of about a week ago

I have 2.2.6-STABLE (as of about 1 week ago) which was working fine
on my P5-200MMX 96MB with the filesystems on sd1. Since then my system
has been through some changes and it's now a P2-266 128MB with a 6.4G
IDE drive (still has the 1G SCSI). So I wanted to move FreeBSD over to
the second slice on the IDE drive (the first is FAT32 with Win95). So
I partitioned up wd0s2 with disklabel, newfs and used dump and
restore to move everything across. However now I get the following
message at boot time...

panic: vm_fault: fault on nofault entry, addr: f2e3c000

This occurs just after fsck reports that all disks are clean. I then
get the syncing disks message with reducing numbers that reduce to
3 (which gets repeated many time) before the system reboots.

I can boot up in single user mode and mount all my filesystem so
I can do things like rebuilding kernels and stuff. However it
doesn't boot to multiuser mode at all.

So I tried doing a clean install to wd0 from the 2.2.5-RELEASE CD.
The system now boots correctly from wd0 with 2.2.5-RELEASE. So I
tried newfs'ing the partitions and moving everything across again
and I still get the same panic.

So is there anyway I can trace this, i.e. how would I convert
f2e3c000 to something meaningful. Can I enable tracing of the rc
file as it starts command (I guess one command is going to be trigger
the problem).

P.S. I originally had trouble putting the disklabel on the wd0
drive as it was complaining about all types of IOCTL errors. But
once I rebooted disklabel reported that the label was in fact
written, and I got no errors after that when editing it. Actually
I have found this to be a common problem when labeling new disks,
spent hours trying to get a label onto a ZIP disk. Only after I
stumbled on a certain slice configuration would disklabel stop
giving me "no space" errors.

P.S. One strange thing about the boot manager program. With the 2nd
SCSI disk (the FreeBSD sd1 disk) connected I get "F1 = ???" (FAT32 I
guess) and "F2 BSD" (which is the IDE partition). However when I
remove the 2nd SCSI disk I get a third option "F3 disk 2" appearing.
I have a FAT16 SCSI disk (sd0) which I use for building ISO images for
CD burning.

Cheers.
      .   | John Saunders   mailto:John.Saunders@scitec.com.au  (Work) |
  ,--_|\  |                 mailto:john@nlc.net.au              (Home) |
 /  Oz  \ |                 http://www.nlc.net.au/~john/               |
 \_,--\_/ | SCITEC LIMITED  Phone +61 2 9428 9563  Fax +61 2 9428 9933 |
       v  |    "By the time you make ends meet, they move the ends."   |