Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2023 20:49:20 -0800
From:      David Christensen <dpchrist@holgerdanske.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I am sick and tired of the poor quality of documentation on FreeBSD

On 11/21/23 13:10, iio7@tutanota.com wrote:

https://www.daemonology.net/blog/2023-11-21-late-breaking-FreeBSD-14-breakage.html

On 11/21/23 15:22, iio7@tutanota.com wrote:
 > Enough with the assumptions!

I upgraded a ZFS boot pool and ZFS root pool last year, and encountered
a similar warning:

https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions/2022-July/001593.html

The following article was helpful for understanding the FreeBSD boot
process:

https://klarasystems.com/articles/the-freebsd-boot-process/

It might be possible to fix your FreeBSD instance:

1.  Study the klarasystems article and determine the boot loader
sequence for your computer, what stages/ files go where, and why.

2.  Boot FreeBSD installer media into a rescue shell.

3.  Crawl the FreeBSD installer shell script, following the path you
would take if you were installing FreeBSD on that computer.  Find the
sections of installer code that write boot loader files from the
installer media to various blocks on the system disk -- MBR, space
between MBR and first slice, slices, BSD partition(s), etc..  Compare
the installer files against disk blocks using cmp(1).  If you find
differences, write the installer files to the appropriate system disk
blocks with dd(1).

4.  If and when you get to installer files copied into a system disk ZFS
file system, stop and see if the previous steps fixed the boot issue.

5.  To access the system disk ZFS file systems, import the system disk
pool(s) using the '-R altroot' option to avoid confusion due to overlaid
file systems.

I suggest taking an image of your system disk before attempting any of
the above.

Alternatively, remove the system disk, install a zeroed disk, do a fresh
install, and restore from backups.

Beware of installing multiple disks with identically named ZFS pools --
e.g. two system disks with pools "bootpool" and "zroot".  It is safer to
use the FreeBSD installer if you need to work on a ZFS system disk.

David