Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:09:52 +0100 (CET)
From:      Christian Schneider <chrisse@schlund.de>
To:        FreeBSD ISP ML <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   SMP on Compaq ProLiant 1850R

I build a customized kernel (FreeBSD 3.4) to enable SMP on a Compaq
ProLiant 1850R with 2 Pentium III 500. I followed the instructions in the
FreeBSD handbook and searched the newsgroups for further advice.

But the SMP won=B4t boot! It simply stopped booting when the root device is
changed to the first partition of the RAID. The last 5 lines on the screen
look like this:

APIC_IO: Testing 8254 interrupt delivery
APIC_IO: routing 8254 via pin 2
Waiting 15 secondes for SCSI devices to settle
SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched
changing root device to wd0s1a

That=B4s it. I changed the OS Type via the SmartStart CD to UnixWare 7
before I build the new kernel (found it in the newsgroups).

I can restart the server via STRG+ALT+DEL. The screen shows:

boot() requested ... <something><something>

and rebooted. What is wrong with my config?

Did anybody else use Compaq ProLiant 1850R servers?

--
Mit freundlichem Gru=DF aus Karlsruhe

Christian Schneider
Systemadministration

Schlund + Partner AG               Tel: 0721/91374-0
Erbprinzenstra=DFe 4 - 12            Fax: 0721/91374-20
76133 Karlsruhe                    E-Mail: Schneider@schlund.de

Traumauto gesucht, und schon gefunden - http://webauto.de
Mit WebAuto auf Erfolgskurs - http://roadshow.webauto.de