Date:      Tue, 29 Feb 2000 17:25:56 +0100
From:      Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>, FreeBSD-STABLE <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Error: "Maximum file descriptors exceeded"...

At 11:16 AM -0500 2000/2/29, James Housley wrote:

>  housley@cat:~/work/monitors {34} sysctl -a | grep -i file

	Any my results:

$ sysctl -a | grep -i file
kern.maxfiles: 32768
kern.bootfile: /kernel
kern.maxfilesperproc: 16384
kern.corefile: %N.core
p1003_1b.mapped_files: 0

>  It looks like updating kern.maxfiles and/or kern.maxfilesperproc should
>  do the trick.  What are the limits set in /etc/login.conf??

	I would think so too, but this doesn't seem to be the case.  The
non-comment lines from my /etc/login.conf were previously posted, and
don't set any limits for any user that are any different from what
root gets.

--
  These are my opinions and should not be taken as official Skynet policy
Brad Knowles, <blk@skynet.be>       Sys. Arch., Mail/News/FTP/Proxy Admin

Note: No Microsoft programs were used in the creation or distribution of
this message. If you are using a Microsoft program to view this message,
be forewarned that I am not responsible for any harm you may encounter as
a result.

See <http://i-want-a-website.com/about-microsoft/twelve-step.html>; for
details.