Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 07:46:04 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scottl@freebsd.org>
To:        Tony Byrne <freebsd@byrnehq.com>
Cc:        msmith@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MegaRAID 'Bad Slot' Kernel message and crash.

Tony Byrne wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We have a 4.10-STABLE production server which has an Intel SRCU42X
> RAID controller installed:
>
> amr0: <LSILogic MegaRAID> mem 0xfe580000-0xfe5fffff,0xfbef0000-0xfbefffff irq 22 at device 0.0 on pci4
> amr0: <LSILogic Intel(R) RAID Controller SRCU42X> Firmware 411M, BIOS H404, 128MB RAM
>
> The server crashed yesterday in the small hours of the morning and
> when we arrived on site to reboot it, there was a "bad slot" kernel
> message on the console, which places the RAID controller in the frame.
>
> The amr driver man page says that this message is indicative of a firmware or
> hardware problem with the controller, but we are not convinced.  We
> experienced the same message and lockups daily during stress testing of the
> box under FreeBSD 5.3 and this ultimately forced us to 'downgrade'
> to 4.10 for production.  The box had been rock solid under 4.10 for a
> number of weeks before yesterday's crash.
>
> Could this indicate a bug in the driver, or at least in its support
> for our re-badged RAID controller?  Has anyone else had problems with
> the amr driver with the same card?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Regards,
>
> Tony.

I've been seeing this problem recently too.  I believe that there is
some sort of timing bug/race in the driver, but I haven't been able to
figure it out yet.  It also seems to be related to panic from the block
layer that point to commands being completed twice.  To be clear with
your observations, are you saying that 4.10-RELEASE is behaving the same
or differently than 4.10-STABLE?

Scott