Date:      Mon, 9 Mar 1998 16:52:34 +0100
From:      lada@ws2301.gud.siemens.at (marino.ladavac@siemens.at)
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, k.keithley@opengroup.org
Subject:   Re: WINE (was: Uncle Sam, got a million bucks?)

> What strategy does photon offer for preserving the investment that
> various enterprises have made in their existing X11 applications? Or are
> you going to pull a Java on me and tell me that the apps have to be
> rewritten?

Isn't photon the proprietary GUI from those people who build realtime
POSIX certified kernels?  If so, I don't think it's X11 source compatible,
and I believe you cannot use it as an X server.

> I'd still be using a 486DX2/66 with 8MB if Frye's hadn't had a special
> last year on a Pentium motherboard w/ 100Mhz CPU for $150. I run
> Netscape 3.0x, xfig, a dozen xterms, and more. Yes, the Pentium makes it
> quite a bit faster, but it was a very servicable machine before I
> switched to the Pentium.

I'm still using an all-ISA 486DX33 with 16MB and an ET4000.  Xemacs is
faster than I can type (about 350 chars per minute) and for what I use
it requires no upgrade.  Once I go back to the large scale Radiance imaging,
I'll need a cluster of Pentia II (floating point is a killer) but before
that there is still a lot of mileage in 7 years old PC.  BTW, it is not
possible to install Win98 on that machine--CPU is too slow according to MS :)
I guess I'm marooned in UNIX waters (the Win95 does seem very sluggish on
the machine in comparison with FreeBSD/AccelX).

/Marino