Date:      Mon, 24 Jan 2000 01:03:00 -0600 (CST)
From:      Ryan Thompson <freebsd@sasknow.com>
To:        space@dsl-only.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your program is looking really [* CENSORED *]

On Fri, 14 Jan 2000 space@dsl-only.net wrote:

A number of things before I start my reply:

 1) I am NOT a member of the core team nor do I have any tangential
affiliation with FreeBSD beyond the fact that I lend my public support by
advocating FreeBSD and helping others on these mailing lists.  Opinions
stated are my OWN.

 2) Profanity does not belong on these lists.  Your limited choice of
vocabulary and poor sentence structure, quite frankly, reflects the
intelligence and relative imagination of a pubescent teenager.  Cool, man.
You will be regarded much more highly if you cut the rudeness out of your
message.

 3) FreeBSD is not a "program", nor does it strictly "belong" to any
individual on this mailing list.

 4) Please format your message to 72 characters per line and make use of
paragraphs.

[...]

> linux, so I was very happy to say the least. no I try to up grade,
> fine that turn out to be a crock of [****], not going into details. this
> makes me made, well think that it must be me, I format install the
> basic install, then cvsup upgrade again that go ok, hay I just
> upgraded the same [****] version how nice. well [****] this, download

Without going into details, I'm afraid you won't get much help.  We need
to know what sort of problems you were faced with.  I.e., what error
messages did you see?  What, in detail, did you try to do that led you to
the "failed" upgrade?

If you haven't already done so, you should read the instructions and
warnings in UPGRADE.TXT.

A cvs update from 3.3 to 3.4 should work, though, as little has changed
that could possibly break the process.  I've gone from 3.3 to 3.4 myself.
Read the handbook section on staying -STABLE and "making the world" for
CVS instructions and sample supfiles.  Perhaps it was a configuration
error on your part?

[...]  Snipped a lot of frustrated venting.

> I would be nice to run something that works like all the claims state.

It works for me!

--
  Ryan Thompson <ryan@sasknow.com>	50% Owner, Sysadmin
  SaskNow Technologies     		http://www.sasknow.com
  #106-380 3120 8th St E   		Saskatoon, SK  S7H 0W2