Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 1996 00:18:39 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        ian@gamespot.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: booteasy chokes on 4 gig barracuda

>> I've got the 4 gig seagate st15150N -- now I see in the archives that
>> fbsd historically (January '95 in the archives!) does'nt like disks > 2 gig
>> (really??) -- well, I'm currently gonna slice it up and see if that'll take.
>> Anybody had a workaround for this?
>
>I find this hard to believe as well - Walnut Creek have been using
>a 9G drive for Usenet for something like a year, so I'm told.
>(The reason why it didn't work in Jan 95 was probably because
>no-one had a disk that big to test it on!).

   Support for >2GB drives was broken in FreeBSD 2.0. If was fixed prior to
the 2.0.5 release with the following commit:

vnode_pager.c:
revision 1.25
date: 1995/02/22 10:34:34;  author: davidg;  state: Exp;  lines: +7 -7
Changed return value from vnode_pager_addr to be in DEV_BSIZE units so
that 9 bits aren't lost in the conversion. Changed all callers to expect
this. This allows paging on large (>2GB) filesystems.

Submitted by:   John Dyson

-DG

David Greenman