Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:15:43 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Subject:   kern/2858: FreeBSD NFS client can't mount filesystem from dual-homed machine

[Problem -> solution -> question]

The problem in short is described as follows.

Host A is dual homed and is connected to network X and Y. Host B, a
client of NFS server A, is connected to network X but NOT to Y.

Let's say we do the following

X=10.1.1
Y=10.2.1

AX=$X.124
AY=$Y.124

BX=$X.129

If you now have a line similar to

$AY:/usr/src	/usr/src	nfs	rw	0	0

in the $BX:/etc/fstab file, than the computer will hang as soon as it
tries to mount /usr/src.

Mounting

$AX:/usr/src	/usr/src	nfs	rw	0	0

will cause no grief. The problem is that the client sends a request to
the 'far' address but gets an answer from the 'nearby' address and waits
indefinitely for an answer. If you look with tcpdump on the wire you see
however that an ICMP message is sent out to notify the server of the
fact that something is wrong.

Solution: Only mount from nearby addresses.

This a stupid bug as it takes ages to figure. Second, it is a problem
when you have a server that acts as an NFS server and router at the same
time (like we have in a setup of 12 servers).

One thing I would like to know whether there is a simple solution to
this, like accepting answers from ANY of the IP addresses of the NFS
server, or checking the returned IP address for its matching with the
NFS server that we were trying to connect to?

There is a bugfix suggested in the discussion of kern/2858, dated March
12th 1998, but has obviously not made it into 2.2.6. (not looked at
2.2.7).

Regards,

Nick

--
building: 27A
address:  STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy