Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 15:39:52 -0800
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@tribe.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com

Subject: Re: OK, so what would YOU like to see on that second CD?

Hi,

> So the question then naturally arises as to whether this second CD
> might not be more usefully populated by something else..  A Lite2
> tree?  A copy of Slackware 3.0?  The complete "naughty jpeg"
> collection from ftp.penet.fi?  Just what would you folks like to see? :-)

Don't know how feasible this is, but... the idea would be to have
the complete mailing list archives, possibly preprocessed for fast
searching, plus a keyword search & find & view program... and the
interface could be cgi/html (just add a link to /cdrom/websearch under
your apache DocumentRoot directory).

Also, one really useful thing a CD-ROM can give you is an unhackable
firewall machine. By unhackable, I mean you have a computer with a
CD-ROM drive and a floppy drive, with a write-protected boot floppy.
Then the floppy boots and mounts the CD-ROM. Then if anything goes
wrong (evil hackers infiltrate), you just turn the machine off and
back on and know that your system has been restored. Of course, now
they are already practiced in breaking in... :-)

I guess this would be more involved, requiring a special program
for building the boot floppy, managing packet filters, etc. Maybe
as part of a longer term firewalling project that could co-exist
with other uses of disk #2.

FWIW,
-Archie
Archie L. Cobbs, archie@tribe.com  *  Tribe Computer Works http://www.tribe.com