Date:      Wed, 2 May 2001 20:29:05 -0400
From:      Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net>
To:        Darryl Okahata <darrylo@soco.agilent.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linksys wireless access point

On Wed, May 02, 2001 at 05:23:23PM -0700, Darryl Okahata wrote:
> Garrett Rooney <rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
>
> > as for led's on the PCMCIA
> > card, the power led remains on the whole time, and the transmit led is lit fo
> > a moment when it first tries to get a DHCP lease and then once or twice after
> > that, but never for very long (less activity than when the card is working
> > normally).
>
>      I was asking because, on my Wavelan card, at least, the power LED
> turns on only if the card successfully negotiates a connection with the
> access point.  If there's no access point, or if the network name or
> encryption key is wrong, the LED won't light up (this is for BSS mode
> only -- it'll light up for ad-hoc mode, but you're not using this).
>
>      Strange.  Do you know if, during your testing, you ever set both
> the network name and the IP address (statically), or was it one or the
> other, and not both at once?

honestly, i can't remember ;-(  at this point, i'll simply have to try it the
next time i'm home.

> [ We're running out of ideas, here.  ;-( ]

*grin*

at this point, i'm willing to be it's something to do with the network name.
i probably screwed up when i was trying that yesterday, and managed to avoid
hitting the magic combo that worked.  i was frustrated enough that i could
have easily missed something.  also, the windows install program does require
you to specify a network name, so that points to it as the issue as well.

again, thank you for the help.  sometimes it helps to have someone else
thinking about the problem, just so you can get pointed toward the right
direction.  i'll test the network name idea more thoroughly as soon as i can,
and i'll let you know what happens.

--
garrett rooney                     Unix was not designed to stop you from
rooneg@electricjellyfish.net       doing stupid things, because that would