Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 11:49:10 +0100
From:      "Jay Tribick" <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk>
To:        "Nicholas Charles Brawn" <ncb05@uow.edu.au>
Cc:        <security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: preventing fork bombs

|How can someone limit/prevent fork bomb attacks on your system. I
|recently tried one on myself after modifying kern.maxprocperuid (thinking
|that should prevent it), and got my machine up to a load of over 150
|before I killed it.
|
|The above effectively freezing my system. :\

I was wondering this, and after a few hours found the solution - in
/etc/login.conf
nice your shell accounts users down to 20 and make their maxprocess 32. This
will
successfully lock themselves out of the system but will not affect any other
users.

Regards,

Jay Tribick <netadmin@fastnet.co.uk> | Network Administrator | FastNet
International