Date:      Tue, 2 Nov 1999 19:12:53 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>
To:        Jon Smith <jonsmith@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sigma Designs speaks on the hollywood plus

Jon Smith:
 |I sent them the following message:
 |
 |<<SNIP>>
 |> Do you have any plans to make the Hollywood Plus usable under Linux or
 |> FreeBSD or any other NON-Windows operating systems?
 |>
 |> Point of question: I have and use Windows NT almost exclusively to play my
 |> DVD's.  Why am I being forced to pay homage (and $$$$) to Bill Gates to
 |> use this product?  Unlike many things, this technology does require
 |> security to prevent anyone from copying the DVD's.
 |>
 |<<SNIP>>

Cool.  Hope it materializes, and not with binary-only Linux ELF drivers.

Your homage comment reminds me of some Windoze news I read today:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/991102-000008.html

     The full estimated retail cost for Windows 2000 Professional will be
     $319. An upgrade from NT will cost $149, and upgrades from Windows 95
     and 98 $219.

     The Windows 9x upgrade costs on the other hand represent a hefty hike
     over previous upgrade costs for the 'consumer' type operating
     systems. A Windows 98 upgrade will currently cost you $90 max, while
     the full product is $170.