Date:      Fri, 04 Jan 2002 17:50:47 -0600
From:      Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: clock problem

At 11:45 PM 1/4/2002 +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
>Christopher Schulte <schulte+freebsd@nospam.schulte.org> wrote:
>  > You can cron `ntpdate` to update the clock every minute.
>
>Much more reasonable would be to run ntpdate once during
>boot and then run the ntpd daemon.  Do not run ntpdate with
>cron.

I have a central ntp server on my network, by which all hosts ntpdate via=20
cron.  I prefer this method as one static crontab line keeps every system=20
on check.  Since no clock will ever deviate by even a second between polls,=
=20
I don't have to worry about sudden time changes.

Reasonable?  Sure.  Elegant?  Maybe not.  Works?  Yup!

>Regards
>    Oliver

--chris