Date:      Mon, 17 Oct 2005 23:36:50 +0800
From:      Matthias Andree <matthias.andree@uni-dortmund.de>
To:        enrico.sirola@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: autotools on freebsd

enrico.sirola@gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm going to use automake/libtool/autoconf on freebsd. The project is
> a library using libtool. I installed the autotools from the ports and
> defined the following environment variables:
>
> export AUTOCONF="/usr/local/bin/autoconf259"
> export AUTOHEADER="/usr/local/bin/autoheader259"
> export AUTOMAKE="/usr/local/bin/automake19"
> export ACLOCAL="/usr/local/bin/aclocal19"
> export AUTOPOINT="/usr/local/bin/autopoint"
> export LIBTOOLIZE="/usr/local/bin/libtoolize15"
>
> then I run
>
> autoreconf259 --force --install

I'll tell you a trick (I fell into the same pit before): the
corresponding ports are named gnu-autoconf (and similar) and you need to
add /usr/local/gnu-autotools/bin (or something similar, I don't recall
the exact spelling off-hand, use pkginfo -L to figure) to your PATH
variable.

Then you can use the regular autoreconf and friends without suffix.
Those with the 259 or 19 suffix are for the ports system, those with
gnu- in the port name are for us programmers.

It would be nice if this could be documented more clearly, or perhaps
the auto* packages be renamed to ports-auto* and gnu-auto* to auto* to
remove this confusion. I concede this is a larger change and cannot
happen before 6.0.

HTH,
Matthias