Date:      Wed, 8 Nov 2000 10:02:22 +1000
From:      "Andrew Hannam" <famzon@bigfoot.com>
To:        "Dave Swegen" <dswegen@allstor-sw.com>, <freebsd-small@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Moving from 3.0 to 4.1

I think that the 3.0 wd devices and the new 4.X ad devices use the same
major and minor numbers - try creating both sets of devices and each version
of the OS should use the ones it thinks it needs to use.
I use this scheme to boot one hard-drive with both a 3.4 and a 4.1 kernel
(although there were a few more tricky things further on in the boot process
for this one).