Date:      Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:37:47 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, Cloud <ashtray1@home.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD with IBM ServeRaid II on a Netfinity 5500

On Fri, Mar 19, 1999 at 11:25:53AM +1030, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:

> > -but that it doesnt work because there is a powerPC chip in it :
>
> Ah, but you didn't mention this.
>
> >    IBM ServeRaid controllers isn't supported I'm afraid :( Yes there are
> >    some Adaptec chips integrated onto motherboard but there's also one
> >    PowerPC processor which plays important role, so I don't believe
> >    FreeBSD is able to use the onboard Adaptec chip. Actually, I don't
> >    know, but I have two NetFinity 5500 laying around here and maybe I
> >    can boot one of them in the evening with FreeBSD. Both of them run
> >    LoseNT, ick.
> >    --
>
> I'm a little confused here.  What of the above was quoted, and what
> did you write for the first time in this message?  All I saw was the
> message from Nathan Ahlstrom, which was just the dmesg excerpt.

The quoted message which says about PowerPC processor was posted by
me actually. Well, I have some IBM NetFinity machines here and 5500
also, but I do not really know is the part of the internal raid
controller which contains adaptec chip usable or not. In fact the
internal raid controller uses adaptec chip and some kind of PowerPC
processor, personally I think these are tightly integrated and not
usable for FreeBSD. I can check it out in the very late night, the
machine is a production use server in local government...
Sorry about not responding to original message :(
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee