Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 17:05:44 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Kevin Day <toasty@dragondata.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        dg@root.com, dgilbert@velocet.ca (David Gilbert), freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/14141: 3.3-RELEASE crashing often

> >> Then I thought about it... and fpp itself should not become NULL in
> >> this case... it's being incremented from some valid pointer value.
> >>
> >> Ideas?
> >
> >   Smells like a hardware problem. I had a lot of problems with AMD chips
> >when I did reliability testing with them. One of the problems turned out
> >to be a real bug in the chip (it only worked reliably with 32MB or less of
> >RAM). They are also very sensitive to heat...you might verify that the heat
> >sink is properly installed and that the fan is working.
>
> I can sign on that petition, I have a K6-2 where which hangs when
> it tried to do FP.  Works fine with the FP emulator forced on.

That's pretty odd, for a while in the embedded product I'm working on we
were using AMD chips, and they worked really well.

CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (337.19-MHz 586-class CPU)
Origin = "AuthenticAMD"  Id = 0x580  Stepping = 0
Features=0x8001bf<FPU,VME,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,MCE,CX8,MMX>
AMD Features=0x80000800<SYSCALL,3DNow!>

Granted this isn't a k6-2, we had about 20 systems with K6's running, doing
heavy FP, and didn't have a single lockup. If you've really found a flaw in
the chip, I'm positive AMD would like to hear about it.

Kevin