Date:      Sun, 09 Mar 1997 10:08:38 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Neal Rigney <neal@pernet.net>
Cc:        Dror Matalon <dror@dnai.com>, isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISP Billing Software

> Would it be too much of a stretch to suggest maybe a group of us(isp'ers)
> get together and write this software?  It seems that everyone has the
> same problem:  they can't find software that fits their needs exactly.  I
> know what we're using works, but not *exactly* the way we want it to
> work.

I think it would be phenominally great for the ISPs to get together
and do this, adding more weight to the arguments in favor of UNIX as a
better, cheaper solution than NT for ISPs.  If you wanted to make
money on the final result, you could even do an NT version and soak
the NT users for it if they want to run the billing system from a
non-UNIX server. :-)

However, history also shows that it's probably not going to happen as
a group thing.  Truly useful items of free "commercial quality"
software like gcc, samba, and I daresay even FreeBSD, get written by a
single developer or close-knit development shop working away in a
corner, far away from anything even resembling a committee.  Committee
design efforts are death to stuff like this.

It's going to take one or two people, working from a single Grand
Vision of how to do flexible billing from a wide variety of data
sources and scaled across a large number of organizational types, to
basically knock the framework together and gather enough of an initial
user base with the first ALPHA release that the ball starts rolling.
Once it's got 10 or more customers and the core developers have proven
their committment to improving and providing focus for the product, I
think that its future would be fairly bright.

These initial developers would have to be willing to volunteer their
time and energy for uncertain (and possibly no) rewards, of course,
and they'd have to be willing to invest at least 9 months of hard work
into it, but all that done, I think they'd have a pretty significant
shot at becoming the next "Apache" of the ISP billing software
community.

It's a long-shot, naturally, but then I'm sure that Dan Heller never
expected to become a multi-millionare when he started giving away
MUSH, either. :-) That effort eventually grew into Z-Mail and the rest
is history.  I don't think that this necessarily has that kind of
potential, but it could probably eventually provide a tidy living for
at least a couple of maintainers (and all done as "free software", so
you get the warm fuzzies as a fringe benefit :-).

						Jordan