Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 22:22:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jeremy C. Reed" <reed@reedmedia.net>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   BSD or Linux or "generic" certification

I am helping a local community college plan its BSD/Linux/Unix curriculum.
Since these courses are for its technology training center, they desire
that the classes help prepare for an official certification.

In one of my classes, I used a BSD for the majority of the demonstrations,
lessons and course work. Since, I am planning the curriculum and
organizing the marketing, I will be pushing to balance BSD as much as
Linux.

Today, I was told that I should focus on a "industry-known" certification
-- hopefully Sylvan Prometric-recognized.

From looking at Sylvan Prometric's site, I see mention of a new Comptia
certifications for Linux -- but they appear to be in the beginnings of
development.

In my searches, I have not found anything about BSD certifications. I am
hoping I can find a certification that is generic -- so I can equally use
BSD in my courses.

I have found one generic certification from SAGE, but, as far as I can
tell, it is also in the very beginnings of development.

Does anyone know of any generic Unix certifications?

I have also looked at SAIR (which focuses on GNU and Linux) and LPI (Linux
Professional Institute).

In addition, I have researched on starting a certification that can apply
to BSD and Linux.

From following the LPI articles and news for the past couple(?) years, it
appears that either it is extremely hard to get a certification developed
-- or they are just slow or stuck in some bureaucracy. It sure seems like
a beginning (Level 1 or Junior sysadmin-type) certification can be
developed a lot faster than a year. In fact, I believe it can be done
within a few months. (The hardest part may be getting Sylvan Prometric or
another industry-known testing facility to recognize the certification.)

Is anyone interested in helping develop a BSD (or generic Unix)
certification track?

Does anyone know of any BSD (or other generic Unix) certifications in
development?

If I can't find one soon (within the month), I'll probably choose LPI
and balance my course work around it.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/