Date:      Thu, 9 May 2002 20:32:22 -0700
From:      Matthew Braithwaite <matt@braithwaite.net>
To:        Matthew Braithwaite <matt@braithwaite.net>
Cc:        Archie Cobbs <archie@dellroad.org>, dgilbert@velocet.ca, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mpd-netgraph problem.

On Thu, May 09, 2002 at 08:17:41PM -0700, Matthew Braithwaite wrote:

> (One things that's odd about my authentication -- this was pointed out
> to me by the Windows boys, whom I'm sorry I dissed -- is that all the
> Windows users seem to authenticate as ``domain\\user'' whereas I
> authenticate as just ``user''.  Who knows what that difference might
> tickle.)

One other datum:

I was just able to snoop a Windows 98 user connecting to the same VPN
server, and he also gets the double-authentication.  The sequence is:

LCP-configure-request MS-CHAPv2
LCP-configure-ack MS-CHAPv2
CHAP Challenge
CHAP Response
LCP-configure-request MS-CHAP
LCP-configure-request compression
LCP-configure-ack compression
LCP-configure-ack MS-CHAP
CHAP Challenge
CHAP Response
CHAP Success

Note: no response to the first CHAP response.  So whatever else may be
true, the lack of that response doesn't prevent clients from speaking
with this VPN server.