Date:      Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:18:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      randall ehren <randall@ucsb.edu>
To:        Michael Richards <michael@fastmail.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiple Firewalls with ipfilter?

> We're supposed to provide redundant firewall service. I'm wondering
> if anyone has ever tried to do this and if it's realistic. Basically
> 2 firewall machines hooked up so if one fails the other will
> transparently step in. I've googled it to death without much luck.
>
> The security issue here lies in that the 2 firewalls can't talk to
> each other. So if I'm keeping state on a connection then the second
> firewall has to know about that connection otherwise it will close if
> that firewall dies.

http://www.isber.ucsb.edu/~randall/firewall/redundant/

 i have this setup in use at work, it's an automatic failover but does not
keep existing connections, so things like SSH sessions would be dropped.

 -randall

--
        :// randall s. ehren         :// voice 805.893.5632
        :// systems administrator    :// isber|survey|avss.ucsb.edu