Date:      Thu, 26 Jun 1997 08:10:56 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PS printer

Chuck Robey wrote:
> Since then, my original HP Laserjet died, and I bought a HP Deskjet 693, I
> forget, maybe for 350 bucks.  I now use apsfilter to print with.  I send
> anything I want to lpr, and it just prints great.  Ascii, postscript,
> gifs, anything at all, apsfilter figures out what the file is, and does
> the modification or transformation needed to get it to print.  I set up
> two drivers via apsfilter, because printing in color is kinda expensive
> unless you need it.

Hi

This is amazing news for me!

Which emulation/ghostscript version do you use? I have an HP 694C, and
I have not taken it out of the box yet (in case I have to give it
back), because I don't know if it will work, and I can find no mention
of its compatibility modes.

This printer has (it claims) a "photo-real" mode. Can you access this
through something in UNIX/Ghostscript/PS? Are there any tricks to
aligning the heads colour/black like for the other HP colour DJ's?

> It's not everyday you can save a bunch of money and improve the quality in
> one step.  Postscript printers cost an arm and a leg; go price them.

Amen, brother!

Mark Murray