Date:      Fri, 15 Aug 1997 18:40:06 +0800 (WST)
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@obiwan.psinet.net.au>
To:        "Randy A. Katz" <randyk@ccsales.com>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

On Wed, 13 Aug 1997, Randy A. Katz wrote:

> ...yeah sure...
>
> Given two upstream providers is it possible to use a single or two FreeBSD
> boxes to do BGP routing and load balancing? And if so, what equipment
> should we use? T1 Cards? Routers?

I have a 486Dx2-66, 16mb RAM with 3 ISA Ne2000's as our main gateway box.
Currently it handles around 450kbytes/s on each interface at peak times,
and :

adrian@cortex:~$ uptime
 7:22PM  up 95 days,  7:57, 9 users, load averages: 0.07, 0.02, 0.01

Nice and stable.

I *also* on top of that run gated with iBGP sessions and an OSPF mesh
for internal routing, I think with the full AS1221 route map (about 5000
routes, describing where Australia is), about 350 routes for the local
peering traffic, and another 50 for the OSPF mesh.. its handling it
quite nicely :)

Now, if a FreeBSD machine can do *that* with 6000 ip route lines, I
think its doing pretty good.

And I really want to trial out Denis' serial cards, can anyone comment
what they're like?

Adrian

--
Adrian Chadd			| "Unix doesn't stop you from doing
<adrian@psinet.net.au>		|   stupid things because that would