Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:33:08 +0100
From:      Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>
To:        "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org, freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sparc64 release documentation

On Fri, 2002/11/08 at 13:00:24 -0800, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
> Hi sparc-ers,
>
> I've been perusing the sparc64 release documentation, and it looks like
> there's a few things that can be updated.  To wit:
>
> 1.  The install documentation is kind of obsolete, now that there's a
> real, running sysinstall.  I think the sequence of instructions is now
> much closer to what i386, alpha, and pc98 use, which means we can
> probably use the unified installation document for them now (with
> suitable customization).

Agreed. I'd like to keep the the instructions to setup network booting
somewhere (not necessarily in the install documentation).

> 2.  The hardware list probably could use some updating too,

I'm working on this, but am not done yet (need to collect some more
models that have been reported as working).

> but this might be a little more useful if we could also cut over to
> the unified hardware list.

I think it would be better to have a separated list that only mentions
drivers that have been confirmed to work on sparc64 for now, since
there are a lot of drivers which do not yet use busdma or cannot
handle big-endian architectures yet.

> Is there any interest in helping me update these things?  (I'm not a
> sparc64 person, BTW.)  If so, I'll change the documentation files to use
> the regular hardware and installation documents and let people go at it.
> I can help with markup issues, if necessary, but I don't know much
> about this platform.

I will try to help as time permits. I'm not sure I will be done in
time for DP2 though (if the anticipated release date is still November
20).

	- Thomas

--
Thomas Moestl <tmoestl@gmx.net>	http://www.tu-bs.de/~y0015675/