Date:      Thu, 6 Dec 2001 19:47:44 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Craig Burgess" <craig@CheetahUSA.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: which JDK? (FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE)

Craig Burgess writes:
 > CPQ offers both
 > Compaq J2SDK/JRE v 1.3.1-1 for Tru64=99 UNIX=AE! and
 > Compaq J2SDK/JRE v 1.3.1-1 for Linux=AE Alpha!
 >=20
 > and we have the linux-jdk's in ports...
 >=20
 > Are any there significant differences in performance? FreeBSD
 > 4.4-RELEASE on EV56.

The last I tried, the Tru64 JDK was blindingly fast, and the Linux JDK
was turtle slow.  However, this is a moot point since the Tru64 JDK
will not run on FreeBSD.  It uses the Tru64 threads library.  This
threads lib makes Mach system calls which we do not emulate.

FWIW, the Linux JDK was just as slow running natively.  I haven't
played with java in any meaningful way since 1.2.x, so they may have
improved the speed of the Linux JDK since then.

Drew