Date:      Fri, 3 Aug 2012 12:43:32 +0100
From:      David Chisnall <theraven@theravensnest.org>
To:        pete <petechou@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-toolchain@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BSD archive file formats

Hi Pete. =20

The end of the man page says:

>      This manual page documents the ar(1) archive formats used by the =
4.4BSD
>      and UNIX SVR4 operating system releases.

I think it's probably safe to assume that the 4.4BSD format was dropped =
at some indeterminate point in the past, probably when we moved from =
a.out to ELF format binaries.  If the tools currently shipped in the =
base system are not producing them, then support is probably not =
important - people can always install GNU binutils from ports if it is =
for some legacy software.

David

On 3 Aug 2012, at 12:36, pete wrote:

> Hi folks,
>=20
> I'm working on archive file format support in MCLinker project.
>=20
> GNU variant archive format is supported in MCLinker now. And from =
FreeBSD