Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 21:37:51 -0800
From:      David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        seanc@FreeBSD.org, doc@FreeBSD.org, dwmalone@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: your mail

Thus spake Tom Rhodes <trhodes@FreeBSD.org>:
> David Schultz <das@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:
> > Actually, I was thinking of the fact that properly laid out
> > DocBook can be converted into a (slightly more concise) mdoc file.
> > I have nothing against a manpage listing all of the sysctls, but I
> > think that centralizing the information in an SGML-based format
> > would be much more useful in the long run.  And since you can make
> > a manpage out of that, the only disadvantage I see is the extra
> > work to put together the DocBook stuff and figure out how to do
> > the conversion.
>
> There is a utility out there which converts mdoc(7) to HTML, we
> just need to do that.  I've been asked to look into this and am
> currently doing the `brainstorm' thing.  Hopefully I'll have
> something to commit by the end of this month.

Converting the other way doesn't work as well.  DocBook can
contain all sorts of useful metadata about the content of the
document, whereas mdoc wasn't designed for that.  For instance,
the DocBook file might contain MIB names, short descriptions of
the knobs, references to manpages, and links to longer
descriptions and related MIBs.  You could automatically convert it
to an mdoc file that contains only the MIB names and references to
other manpages.  With mdoc, you only get that kind of control if
you plan the document very carefully and cook up some macros.