Date:      Tue, 03 Jan 1995 23:51:15 -0700
From:      Steve Passe <fbsd@clem.systemsix.com>
To:        Jeff Haynes <jeff@tenforwd.wiz.com>
Subject:   Re: makeing in .../ports/

>> Line 186 of the Makefile is:
>> UnsharedLibReferences(XONLY,X11,$(XLIBSRC))

This happened to me when I replaced X11R5 with X11R6 and moved Motif
(ported to X11R5) to the new X11R6.  The general scenerio is:

UnsharedLibReferences() is defined in Imake.rules (in X11R6, I have
			no idea where it was defined in X11R5)

the Imake.tmpl provided by Motif,X11R5:
#include <Project.tmpl>
#include <Motif.tmpl>
#include <Imake.rules>

Project.tmpl invokes the UnsharedLibReferences() macro BEFORE
it is defined by Motif.tmpl (and Imake.rules)

In the generic X11R6 Imake.tmpl, Imake.rules is included around
line 94, while Project.tmpl is included around 1020, ie,
UnsharedLibReferences() is defined well b4 it is used.  Thus when
I installed Motif, it replaced the X11R6 Imake.tmpl with one which
used the macro (in Project.tmpl) b4 it was defined (conditionally
in both Motif.tmpl & Imake.rules).  So, if your problem is from
a X11R5 motif install, send me a request and I will send you my
patches to Imake.tmpl & Motif.tmpl.  Otherwise look for a similar
situation, ie, any use of a config file that is nonstandard from
the generic X11R6 provided ones.

						Steve Passe
						smp@csn.org