Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2021 17:27:41 +0300
From:      Greg V via freebsd-x11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
To:        Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, gljennjohn@gmail.com
Subject:   Re: 3.0-STABLE / drm-kmod / dual radeon problems

On Fri, Aug 20 2021 at 08:30:04 -0500, Scott Bennett <bennett@sdf.org>=20
wrote:
> A generalized, portable BSD driver that avoided all the LINUX crud=20
> would be a very
> welcome addition to each of the BSDs

No, it would be a *ridiculous* NIH effort duplicating *millions* of=20
lines of already-existing code for no good reason.

You CANNOT rewrite amdgpu from scratch with one paid developer. You'd=20
need a whole army of developers, ages of time, and all for what =97=20
avoiding "crud"!?

What even is "crud"? Our LinuxKPI code looks rather elegant.

Also, I don't recall AMD actually documenting the relevant hardware.=20
There are nice documents for the shader ISA, high-level architecture=20
descriptions and so on, but for all the actual command=20
submission/buffer management/etc how-to-talk-to-the-hardware internals,=20
the Linux driver *is* the documentation.

Please stop proposing unrealistic "solutions", especially in threads=20
where people are asking about practical problems.