Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 20:50:04 +0000
From:      Morel <morel@acadia.net>
To:        small@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re:picobsd on cdrom

I've been building 1.44 floppy versions of picoBSD based on 3.5-Stable
for a while now with very good results, even adding additional functions
like PPPOE, Bridging, Dummynet, IPFW, routed, IPXrouted and Multicast
Routing, all on the same floppy. Agreed, you have to # out all of the
options in the Kernel and crunch.conf that aren't required, but 3.5 has
all of the functions that I require. I've tried 4.1.1 without success
and have gone to 4-stable to confirm my theory that 4x has too much
built-in kernel bloat for a single-floppy build.
As an aside, there was some traffic on using rl ethernet interfaces with
PicoBSD. They work fine with Bridging as well, even though the
documentation doesn't reflect it. I built a 3-way bridge to handle
traffic from a Samba server connected to two subnets via the bridge.
Downloading a 600+ Meg file to a PentiumII 300 running Windoze at 100%
CPU utilization showed less than 0.1% CPU load on the bridge running a
DX266 with a 12.5 MB/ sec data tranfer rate. I say less than 0.1%
because most of the time ps -aux showed 0.0%

Norm Audet

support@thinserver.net