Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 07:10:12 -0700
From:      Donald Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
To:        Pat Lynch <lynch@bsdunix.net>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Bazaar part II

Pat Lynch wrote:

> Of course they will fall short of calling the distribution some
> alamagamation of core team members names (or maybe we should just use
> "Hubbix" (Jordan?)) as the OS name.

!!!

I think we're doing much better than we were, FWIW. My prime suggestion
is that Walnut Creek put as many copies of the Power Pack and Applixware
FBSD on shelves as they can produce. I also think Ton Roosendaal should
be contacted to see if he would let WC package Blender in a box. I think
it's a great marketdroid-type decision to take freeware and print the
manuals and package it in a box. DO NOT bundle them together, the idea
is for people to see that there's STUFF TO BUY for FreeBSD. I think the
Power Pak is actually a mistake, it would be better to split out the
components as separate products. I'd much rather see 1) the Book, 2) the
OS, 3) the Bleeding Edge (CURRENT snapshot?), 4) the Toolkit, 5) the
Office Suite, and 6) the incredible graphics package Blender on the
shelves. It seems that part of the reason Linux has taken off at escape
velocity is that there's lots of stuff to buy, and the impulse to pull
out one's wallet overwhelms the brain's desire to make a technical
decision on an OS. I think it started when Linux people (including WC)
put Linux on the shelf. You had a purchase decision in front of you: Buy
Slackware or buy WGS, or buy ?. What we need to do is to make it buy
FreeBSD or buy RH or buy SuSE? We can't quickly put a gazillion books on
the shelf, but we can put FreeBSD-native open source products on the
shelf with pretty manuals. Such projects would be a lot simpler than the
Applix port was, and I think they'd have almost as much impact. There'd
be something new to look forward to buying every time you hit the store.
That would also be an argument to sell the store managers. Any time
there's a _line_ of related products they have more potential for
follow-on sales.

In a nutshell, gain retail shelf exposure!
--
Donald Wilde                        "Linking Minds and Micros"