Date:      Wed, 29 Jan 2020 13:42:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Emmanuel Vadot <manu@bidouilliste.net>, Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>, Robert Clausecker <fuz@fuz.su>, freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, freebsd-arch <freebsd-arch@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

> --------
> In message <20200129222907.3ccaf4c23fe8509e3f9cdfe4@bidouilliste.net>, Emmanuel Vadot writes:
>
> >> RPi's are a LOT easier to get hold of for hackers and in particular
> >> for educators.
> >
> > In what way ?
> > Real answer only.
>
> 1. Schools can get them through their usual suppliers of educational
>    material, with a pretty decent discount, and with educational
>    courses and materials, pretty much ready to go.

As a bonus data point I have seen RPI's in vending machines at
universities that have engineering departments.  Thats just how
"commidity" these items are in the educational world.

> 2. Most "maker-space" atuned electronics pushers carry them.
>
> 3. Big electronics pushers carry them.
You can walk into a Frys and walk out with one!

> In re 1-3: No customs processing of shipment involved.

:-)

> 4. Cost, including shipping is below "trivial" threshold in most
>    organizations.

Yep.

I have no problem if some want to ignore RPI*, but as Poul says
FreeBSD does so at its own peril.  If its a man power thing lets
find it or make it!