Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 10:00:03 +0800
From:      Shaun Dwyer <shaun@crystal.com.au>
To:        Adrian Gonzalez <adrianbsd@globalpc.net>, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Symantec Ghost-like app for UFS?

I did this recently on one of my machines using tar...

the procedure is:

do minimal install on new disk for the purposes of creating partitions
and installing the bootloader etc,

boot off old disk in single user mode, mount new drive and then use tar
to the following...
for example, to do /usr,

cd /usr
tar cvf - --one-file-system * | tar xf - -C /mnt/new_usr

--one-file-system stops tar from crossing mount points, so this will work for
the root partition too :)

This is the way to do it if you are moving to a different sized disk and want
to change the paritition sizes.

If you want to 'clone' a stack of machines, you can build one up as you want it,
and then just use dd in a 3rd machine.. ie, boot off disk 0, clone disk 1 to disk 2.

dd if=/dev/rad1 of=/dev/rad2

You may find that specifying a block size (eg bs=1m) helps to increase speed.
systat -vmstat will show you how many MB/sec the disks are doing.

--Shaun