Date:      Mon, 02 Sep 1996 17:56:01 -0400
From:      Gib Winter <winterg@os2bbs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   MS FrontPage and Authentication

I have MS FrontPage Server extensions 1.1 loaded on my FreeBSD 2.1.5 release
and Apache 1.1.1 server.  Everything works fine, except the password
authentication - I have to manually copy a password from a FreeBSD generated
password file to the MS Frontpage password file (thanks to an earlier
posting to this list I saved many hours of pulling hair).  The FreeBSD
passwords are MD5 and the FrontPage appear to be DES.

My questions are thus:
        It appears Apache does the authentication of users coming in with
MD5 and FrontPage is creating the passwords with its Administrator function
using DES.  Is this a correct synopsis?
        What is the best way to fix this?  Should I compile my system using
the DES crypt?  What exactly is the method of switching from MD5 to DES - I
didn't see it mentioned in the handbook, it only talked about how to
recognize which you have installed.  Do I need to use a compile flag for this?

                                             Thanks,
                                                   Gib