Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 1997 00:35:45 -0400 (EDT)
From:      spork <spork@super-g.com>
To:        Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
Cc:        Aaron Jackson <jackson@negril.msrce.howard.edu>, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, nevin@deepwell.com, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limits on apache

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:

> With 1.2.0, that won't work a lot of the time because BIND has broken code
> that sets a hard limit based on the FD_SETSIZE setting when BIND was
> compiled.  You would have to recompile the resolver library with a larger
> FD_SETSIZE to fix that on 1.2.0.

On a tangent...

I assume (correct me if I'm wrong...) what you are talking about here is
apache doing the reverse lookups for logging.  We used to let apache do
this until I hit some of our sites from unnamed hosts and saw an
incredible slowness in downloading just about anything from our
webservers.  Ping and traceroute showed excellent connectivity, and I
figured out the delay was apache doing the lookups and waiting on the
timeout...  Turning off dns lookups in the apache configs made things fly,
and we now run sans dns lookups and let analog do the lookups when it
processes the logs.  We've since gotten some positive responses from
clients coming in from ISPs that don't do revs on most of their dialup
connections.

Charles