Date:      Mon, 10 Sep 2001 22:50:57 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@freebsd-services.com>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@freebsd.org>
Cc:        nik@freebsd.org, jason@dstc.edu.au, hubs@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 4.4 upcoming release/timetabling/mirroring

--On Monday, September 10, 2001 14:23:55 -0700 Jordan Hubbard
<jkh@freebsd.org> wrote:

>> So, a large public response requesting a delay to do more testing is not
>> as relevant as private correspondence which you won't go into?
>
> Boy, are there some elections going on in the UK right now or
> something?  I've never seen so much last-minute politicking!
>
> It's not a question of "comparative relevance" and I've certainly
> taken the public response into account or you'd be seeing 4.4 up on
> the mirrors right now.
>
> The people at WindRiver have their own time-lines to adhere to if we
> want to see anything in the way of another CD release from them and
> I'm trying to work within those constraints as well since the project
> has always enjoyed seeing those products on the shelves.  I find it
> kind of ironic in light of that fact that your own sudden outpourings
> of concern stem from your own DVD product business issues vs some
> genuine concern for product stability or something.

I have always voiced concern over the way you roll releases according to CD
mastering schedules. I have done so since we first got involved with WC all
those years ago.

My viewpoint has *always* been that a release is ready when it's working,
not when the replication deadline looms for the company behind the scenes
calling the shots.

If we were looking out for our own interests then we'd have been pushing
for a release sooner rather than later since that would bring the revenue
in sooner.

Far from pushing for an earlier release though we want to see a *good*
release and we will not put our commercial interests ahead of the quality
of the project.

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd
http://www.freebsd-services.com