Date:      Wed, 29 Apr 1998 23:11:32 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Correction for Caldera article

>On Wed, 29 Apr 1998 13:54:02 -0600, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
>wrote:
>
>>Walnut Creek CD-ROM sells both FreeBSD and Linux. As documented in
>>earlier messages on this mailing list, sales of FreeBSD are increasing
>>while sales of Linux are nearly flat.
>
>Only at Walnut Creek, because they sell Slackware which fewer buyers
>nowdays are interested in.  I have not seen or heard any real evidence
>that Linux sales are flat, except for the testimony of a few FreeBSD
>boosters.

   Who said that Linux sales were flat? I certainly didn't. I said that
Slackware sales _growth_ was linear rather than exponential. Based on
comments from Linus, sales _growth_ has declined for Linux in general.
...but let me say again one more time: Linux is still growing and at
a reasonable pace, just not exponential like it used to be. This is not
my opinion, but what the people who should know have said in the recent
past.
   Quite honestly, it doesn't bother me at all if Linux growth was fast
and furious. In fact, I'd be _worried_ if it declined to 0 growth (or worse,
lose market share), since this would indicate that the size of the "unix"
market is limited and relatively small, and would mean that Microsoft
has won.

-DG

David Greenman