Date:      04 Sep 1998 19:37:46 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:
> > So, am I the only hacker in the world to have added sender alias
> > support to his mailing list package? I'm sure it would be a SMOP in
> > Majordomo. Allow each subscriber to specify one or several aliases
> > from which he/she wishes to post, but to which mail will not be sent.
> Is this based on envelope or message headers?  If it's based on message
> headers I guess it still leaves a small window for creative abuse.

It's based on message headers (sender if present, from if not).
Considering that there are many ways to forge mail undetectably, I
don't consider it a big problem that it can be easily circumvened. It
stops spam, and it stops uninformed third parties.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no