Date:      Thu, 01 Jun 1995 15:02:29 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
To:        gwk@cray.com
Cc:        amjudge@dsg.cs.tcd.ie, bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Install problem with 2.0.5-ALPHA (UPDATE floppy image)

> Same for me.  And I can't get floppy installation to work.  It seems
> to try to mount the root.flp floppy, which I have rawritten.  Who's
> wrong, the machine or me?  And I can't get NFS installation to work,

Hmmm!  Well, if it's trying to mount root.flp then it's definitely not
you! :-)  Let me look into this.

I've just fixed the FTP and DOS installations (knock on wood) and will
move to the floppy install next.  Now I just need some blank floppies
to test on.. :-)

> something like permission problems.  When the NFS filesystem is
> mounted, I cannot even cd into the mountpoint directory, "permission
> denied".  And I can't get installation from a DOS partition to work,

I think you're suffering from a slight change I made to the NFS install
semantics.  Rather than doing it as a base dir and a prefix, I attempt
to mount the target directory directly, that is to say:

	ziggy:/foo/bar/blatt/FreeBSD

Rather than:

	ziggy:/foo + prefix of /bar/blatt/FreeBSD

I know that this makes it a pain for some people who don't have
submounts enabled (-alldirs option in FreeBSD) in their exports, but
it's comparatively easy to work around and it makes my life a lot
easier to not have to keep the extra info around.  The new install
framework is considerably more generic in its handling of media, but
there are certain limitations to it also.  I may change this in the
future if there is sufficient demand, but for now I recommend simply
adding a new export entry for the base directory where you have
FreeBSD or enabling subdir mounts.

>Guess it's time to give up for today.  My previous experience with the
>installation menu of 2.0R and various snapshots was not this bad.

I'm sorry it's making your life miserable.  Please do bear in mind
that this was a _total rewrite_ of the install code and as such is
going to have some teething troubles.  I'm working practically 24
hours a day on fixing it and have already made significant
improvements.  Please try to be patient!

					Jordan