Date:      Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:08:05 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        karl@Mcs.Net (Karl Denninger)
Subject:   Re: Crashes (page faults) and odd behavior on current

As Karl Denninger wrote:

> There was a change committed to vm/vm_swap.c last night -- what did it
> address?

Why don't you look yourself? :-)

j@uriah 150% cvs log /sys/vm/vm_swap.c | head -50

RCS file: /home/cvs/src/sys/vm/vm_swap.c,v
Working file: /sys/vm/vm_swap.c
head: 1.40
[...]
----------------------------
revision 1.40
date: 1996/10/27 22:31:00;  author: phk;  state: Exp;  lines: +18 -4
The way we get a vnode for swapdev is not quite kosher.  In particular
it breaks in the DEVFS_ROOT case.  replicate a bit too much of bdevvp()
in here to circumvent the problem.  The real problem is the magic that
lives in bdevsw[1].
----------------------------
[...]

If you run a cvs diff -u -r1.39 -r1.40 /sys/vm/vm_swap.c, you will
quickly see that it's an initialization time thing, so i would suspect
it being an all-or-nothing matter whether this breaks or not.

Of course, if you wanna make sure about this (i assume you don't run
DEVFS, so you don't strictly need the patch), simply do:

	cd /sys/vm
	cvs update -j1.40 -j1.39 vm_swap.c

...and recompile.  Don't forget that CVS tries to remember your
modification forever.  If you wanna get rid of it again, it's the
easiest way to simply remove the file, and `cvs update' again.

(NB: the change was not by me, i'd only like to point out a quick way
to verify suspicions of this kind yourself.  This is often faster than
one turnaround through the mailing lists)

--
cheers, J"org