Date:      Fri, 3 Jul 1998 12:44:35 -0500
From:      Tim Tsai <tim@futuresouth.com>
To:        "Kelley L." <kosh@kosh.cococo.net>
Cc:        "W. Reilly Cooley, Esq." <wcooley@nakedape.ml.org>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CUCIPOP?

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 01:21:13PM -0400, Kelley L. wrote:
> >   Our problem with CUCIPOP was that it does not mark the messages as
> > "read" if you don't delete the messages.  I understand that there are
> > good technical reasons for it, but we had a number of users that complained
> > due to privacy issues.  Otherwise it is an excellent package.
>
>    I don't know if I understand, has this got to do with the uidl command?
> I'm using it on a Linux machine, have been for quite a while now, if you
> access your mailbox through pine, or something else, it will change the
> uidl if you then check it with Netscape, etc... and will upload the
> messages again. Is this what you are talking about?

  Sorry - that was kind of confusiong.

  It has to do with the POP3 "RETR" command.  With qpopper, after I RETR
a message, the mail is updated as "READ".  Since qpopper copies the
mailbox around it can do this without much trouble.

  With CUCIPOP, if you leave mail on server, and you read your e-mail,
the mail is not updated as READ.

  I think - it's been a while since I tried CUCIPOP.  I do remember
confirming the behavior with the author of CUCIPOP and he claims the RFC
does not require him to do it (and I don't doubt him).

  Tim