Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 14:21:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Ralph Forsythe <rforsythe@centerone.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HP 4000M switch question

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, Ralph Forsythe wrote:

> I'm currently in the market for a switch, minimum 24 ports.  Based on the
> features I need, the Cisco 2924XL seemed like a good choice, plus I'm
> familiar withalmost all Cisco gear.  However recent searches on eBay have
> turned up HP ProCurve 4000M switches ready to go with 40 ports for around
> $4-500, which is of course quite cheap for the port density I get out of it.

We're using them extensively and they have been working quite well for
us.  In the rare situation that something dies on it, HP gets you a
replacement part the next day, and all bits and pieces of the 4000M
and 8000M (exactly the same switches other than initial port
configuration) are modular.  Those switches have lifetime warranties.

> My question, for anyone who has used them - can I create a span port
> on them like I can on the Ciscos, for something like an IDS
> application?  Right now I have the IDS and firewall all on the same
> box, but down the road I'll want to separate those out so making a
> span port will be a necessity.  Otherwise they seem like adequate
> switches, with VLAN capability and the rest of it.

You can define any one port to be a "monitoring port" which will
mirror all traffic from any other ports (any and all ports you desire)
OR the monitoring port can monitor an entire VLAN on the switch.

--
 Chris Dillon - cdillon(at)wolves.k12.mo.us
 FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet

No trees were harmed in the composition of this message, although some
electrons were mildly inconvenienced.